Sunday, August 8, 2010

Our Front Yard
















One thing keeping me busy this summer is the landscaping of our front yard. So far we've torn up the concrete, had the gas/utility lines marked, rough graded, dug trenches for the sprinklers, and begun to lay the pavers. We still need to install sprinklers, add topsoil, lay sod and plant vegetation.

The boys have enjoyed the noise, machinery and mess. It seems the moment they step outside they are covered in dust. They are very well-trained in using the back door and taking their shoes off (I'm still working on Kjell). Wether begs to go outside all day everyday. Eventually I let him outside where he becomes filthy within minutes playing with sticks, muds, puddles, sand, gravel, and dirt. I spray him down with the hose before he's allowed back inside (he doesn't mind) and then he immediately cries to go back outside. We visit our neighbors the Whites often and admire their grass, shade, plants, general lack of chaos, etc.

One reason we decided to lay pavers in place of colored stamped concrete (besides the obvious aesthetic appeal) was because I found beautiful tumbled pavers on KSL for a fraction of the price. In May, Kjell and his brother drove two dump trucks about an hour south to pick up the pavers. I drove down later with our trailer to pick up the last bunch. The kids have been playing on these huge mounds of pavers in our side yard all summer, delighting in building roads and castles. Still, now that the pavers are being laid, there are not enough! The price to buy more is astronomical but we were able to find a close match at a more reasonable price. Let's hope it all comes together in the end.

Photos: Marcus watching the graders remove debris and level the yard. This fascinated him for over an hour each night. Also, Kjell rented a bobcat to dig trenches for the sprinkler pipes underneath where the pavers were to be installed. When asked why we had several emergency vehicles in our cul-de-sac, Kjell told them he had struck a vein of natural gas. Whoops.

3 comments:

Chastina said...

You are a bargain queen!

reyesohana said...

looking great - I can't wait to see the end product :)

The Johstoneaux Family said...

I didn't know you guys were laying the pavers all ready. I'll have to come see!