| Marcus coloring at the kitchen counter. |
Although Marcus doesn’t engage in pretend play very often he is almost riveted by anything that flies, shoots, or drives. His favorite toys as of late are an airplane launched by a rubberband, an airsoft gun, and a battery driven motorcycle that drives comically slow (which doesn’t stop him from declaring “look how fast I’m going!”). At the waterpark, Marcus rarely gets bored although it is a frequent destination. The wave pool, lazy river, and slides are his favorite. I can pretty much get Marcus to do anything, like run to his bed in the middle of the day to take a nap, if I promise a camping trip, fires and s’mores, or sleeping in a tent. Every once in a while Kjell will even sleep in the backyard with the boys. Lastly, Marcus loves crafts. Thriving on praise, he will color, cut and glue all afternoon as long as I am close by to sing compliments every few minutes. He is quite proud of his artistic creations (as am I).
| First day of Kindergarten. Marcus is wearing a Transformer backpack. |
Marcus started Kindergarten this week (he loves it); he also got a loose tooth and learned how to do a flip on the trampoline. Soccer began too, although not his forte (his favorite part of soccer? Treats after the games). While 4 minutes of soccer can leave Marcus winded and exhausted, he can hike for miles and miles and often requests to “go hiking in the mountains” (he’s already got Stewart Falls, Squaw Peak, and Tillamook Head under his belt). Always considerate and socially aware (Transformers are the coolest, Thomas the Train is out), Marcus loves to play with friends and can be impressionable and sensitive. Still, he’s got a good sense of right and wrong and knows that it is not right to be unkind or when others are mean. This makes for a great big brother who for the most part interacts quite well with Holden and Wether. Marcus was so insistent that mommy has a girl baby in her belly that when we found out it was a boy his reaction was “no it’s not!” He’s come to terms with the fact that another little brother is coming and he asks me questions like “can the baby sleep in my bed?” and “the baby will be so little and cute. Can I hold him?”
As Marcus becomes more independent I can only look forward to a great future for him. He’s got the tools and gifts to become a great man and really enjoy the ride along the way.
2 comments:
What a wonderful young man! I love the way he is with his little brothers.
I love it! What a great tribute to your children. They will love to read about themselves when they get older.
Post a Comment