
Recently I was called (asked) to be the president of the Relief Society in our ward (congregation). I eagerly accepted and have been extremely busy ever since, hence the lapse in blog posts.
Relief Society is one of the oldest and largest women's organizations in the world, with over 6 million members in more than 170 countries and territories. I've personally attended RS in Jerusalem, Paris, Scotland, Tonga, and several states.
“Charity Never Faileth” stems from the first Relief Society meeting in 1842 in Nauvoo, Illinois. The sisters were asked by the Prophet Joseph Smith to assist the brethren “in looking to the wants of the poor—searching after objects of charity, and in administering to their wants.” The sisters took this call to heart and became a society devoted to seeking out the poor and needy.
Today, sisters in Relief Society strive to increase faith and personal righteousness, strengthen families and homes, and seek out and help those in need. In our ward, we meet every Sunday during church for an uplifting lesson as well as once a month for more instruction and activities.
We also visit teach - each member of the Relief Society is paired with another member; this couple is then assigned by the Relief Society Presidency to be the visiting teachers of one or more other members of the Relief Society. Visiting teachers strive to make a monthly contact with the women assigned to them; ideally, this contact is a personal visit in the member's home. Visiting teachers are encouraged to look for opportunities to serve the individuals that they "visit teach". Over the years, my visiting teachers have taught and listened, watched my children, brought me meals, and given me rides among many other acts of service
I feel it a wonderful privilege to preside over our ward Relief Society. As I fulfill my calling, I'll continue to learn from the women in the ward. Although we range in age from 18-92, come from every walk of life and family situation, there is great wisdom to be found as we teach and serve each other.
(sources: http://www.lds.org/, wikipedia)
3 comments:
Wow! That is a HUGE responsibility, but a great opportunity. You will do such a great job!
Congrats! That is a huge responsibility but I know you will do great!
Congratulations!!! I am sure that you will do a fabulous job!!
Post a Comment