Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Green-Eyed Monster

Sleeping baby in a cute outfit from Aunt Darcy.

He's growing so fast.  I love it when they get chubby!

Holden made a hat out of underwear.

As soon as Wether was out of the laundry basket, Holden jumped in and started doing similar poses.  I guess Port isn't the only little brother to envy.

Holden wrapped in a blanket "like a baby".
With 4 boys including a newborn baby, competition for mommy and daddy’s attention has gotten steep! Actually, the older boys are probably getting more attention then ever, especially from Kjell, nevertheless there is no doubt some jealously and subsequently some regression in the McCord household.



Port is an even-tempered little boy who eats and sleeps well, although his cold causes breathing problems at night (I. Am. Tired). He loves to be held and certainly gets toted around a lot as I drive his brothers to and from school and swim lessons, the grocery store, book group, etc. He doesn’t mind. It brings me great joy to hold him each day, even as the laundry pile grows.



Wether likes to help me burp, aka hit, the baby. He’s probably adjusting the best, mostly because he’s now one of the big boys and is included in whatever Marcus and Holden are doing. He’s also getting more daddy time. We’ll see what happens when Port takes over his crib….



Holden requests to be wrapped in a blanket like a baby and be carried around. Enough said.



Marcus is having the hardest time. He being a child that thrives on attention and praise, Port is like Kjell bringing home a younger, cuter wife in my eyes. That is the analogy my pediatrician used and I tell myself daily when I struggle with the patience needed to deal with Marcus wetting his pants! Regression abounds. He was also acting up a bit in school so that his teacher Mrs. Sumsion started sending home notes about how he behaved that day. That was enough motivation for Marcus to be a “good boy” and he hasn’t brought home a negative note yet (it’s been 2 weeks). In fact, he was picked as student of the month and got to eat lunch with the principal yesterday. Marcus is doing extremely well in reading and other academic areas.

Kjell and I are transitioning to a family of 6 as well.  Often Kjell returns from work to find his day has only just begun!  What a hard-working husband and father he is who rarely complains.  Besides, the additional messes and lack of sleep, I am working on losing my post-baby weight.  It's harder the older I get.  And I love chocolate.  Mmmmm...chocolate...well, I digress.  Fortunately, every day our adjustment lessens. Now, if only I get some more rest….

5 comments:

kathryn said...

Olivia- just reading all of that makes me tired! Did you hear our news that we'll be joining the ranks of the 6 member family come Sept? I'll be counting on you for lots of advice! I need to come see you and the babe- I'm finally over my cold, so I'll call next time I'm headed down to Provo!

Kirstin said...

Hang in there girl! I know it is soooo exhausting but you seem to be appreciating the little moments of sunshine better than I ever did! You are an awesome mom!

Julia said...

It always amazes me how the oldest children still have a hard time getting less attention, even though they've been sharing us for so long. I think they just come needing more, that's why they come first. You are amazing Olivia! Hang in there. You're boys are all so darling!

Chastina said...

It's definitely a big adjustment. My oldest and youngest are best friends, something to (hopefully) look forward to.

author said...

Love the post! You are such a great friend and amazing mother! You rock!