We have returned from our annual pilgrimage to Norwalk, Connecticut suntanned and refreshed. Here’s a brief synopsis of our trip:
I flew out with Port and WW a couple of days before Kjell and the boys. The airplane ride went smoothly mostly because Port had his own seat and Wether had Baby Einsteins to watch. Dad picked us up at Westchester Airport. That evening Uncle Tom arrived from Long Island. He came bearing gifts for the boys and played and played with Port. Wether got really sick that night with a fever and vomiting. This did not add to his sunny disposition.
Mom and I went shopping at my favorite store – the Goodwill in Norwalk – where I practically get a new wardrobe each summer. We found a bike for Marcus, which he rode around the Point a few times. Mom also treated me to a manicure and pedicure (heavenly!).
Meanwhile, Holden and Marcus were so anxious to go on a plane that it was the main topic of their conversation. Marcus even drew an elaborate picture of driving to the airport. Kjell arrived with the boys on Friday and they immediately requested to go on the boat.
In the morning Holden kept asking "where's Merlin?" It took me a moment to realize he meant "Marilynn". He called Grandpa "Grandma". After a few days "Grandma and Merlin" became "Grandpa and Grandma" although he did refer to Grandma as Marilynn every once in a while. We spent all day Saturday aboard Maramor. The boys were enthralled. Marcus was in and out of the water constantly, which was a huge change from last year when Grandpa finally threw Marcus into the Sound (I threw Holden into the water this year).
Another highlight of our vacation was several trips to the beach on Wilson Point, which we always had to ourselves. We’d swim back and forth to the float, ferrying the younger boys on an inflated mattress. My childhood friend Nicole Denmen joined us at the beach one day and it was delightful to see her. We also visited a neighbor’s pool a couple of times.
Mom and I squeezed in a very brief tennis game cut short because of the intense heat.
Kjell and I went kayaking with Marcus to a little deserted island where Marcus made a valiant effort to catch frogs. Kjell went fishing with the boys off the floating dock. Although they didn’t catch anything with a rod, a bucket along the shore yielded a small fish which Marcus brought home to show Grandma and Grandpa.
Kjell and Grandpa took Marcus and Holden “camping” aboard Maramor. Marcus and Kjell swam around the boat 4 times while Holden watched.
After securing a babysitter, mom and dad treated Kjell and I to an authentic Italian dinner in Bridgeport one evening. The food was rich and delicious and it was a nice break from the kids.
Aunt Darcy and her friend Carrie came up for a visit after lunch one day. True to form, Aunt Darcy arrived bearing gifts and toys for the boys. Marcus spent hours constructing a 130 piece lego firetruck and WW and Holden played (fought over) Connect 4 and a dinosaur puzzle. We visited a thrift shop in Darien where I bought a tube and fabulous black heels. That evening we had a BBQ at the club with our guests including Tom and Marianne. Marcus and Wether played on the beach while Holden followed Tom around. Aunt Darcy took care of Port’s every need including walking him around and pushing him in the stroller until he fell asleep. Carrie was a big help too.
We ended up staying an extra night due to flight delays. Kjell sat in First Class with Holden and Wether while I sat in coach with Marcus and Port on my lap. Believe it or not, I had the better deal. Marcus behaved wonderfully and Port slept in my arms while Kjell had to deal with Wether the Terror. I’ll spare you the details so Kjell doesn’t have to relive the trauma but I will add that WW didn’t seem to bother the other passengers. He did fall asleep…on the car ride home.
Kudos to mom and dad for housing, feeding, serving, and entertaining us for over a week. Port didn’t have to go very long without attention from Grandma. He even fell asleep holding her finger and watching the moon. Dad drove to and from Westchester Airport 4 times. Thank you!
 |
| Where oh where is Wether's shoe?! Wether confessed "Threw it in the ree-ver (river)". |
 |
| Couldn't leave home without the Retro Rockets. They were the only way we got Holden and Wether in the water. |
 |
| There's room for 2. |
 |
| Marcus fell asleep while leaning over the stern of the boat. |
 |
| Captain Love. |
 |
| L-R: Marianne, Tom, Dad, Mom, Me, Port, Kjell, Aunt Darcy, & Carrie (Aunt Darcy's friend). We had a BBQ down at the club. Tom and Marianne joined us after work. |
 |
| Holden still talks about "Cousin Tom". High Five! |
 |
| The newlyweds. |
 |
| No hands! No swimsuit! J/K |
 |
| Mom taught Marcus proper noodle usage and how to coordinate with your noodle. |
 |
| Marcus and Daddy |
 |
| Marcus showing off his mad snapping skills. |
 |
| Future underwear model? |
 |
| The life. |
 |
| Let's run circles around the boat. Over. And over. |
 |
| Wether liked to point out tugboats and sailboats. |
 |
| Where's the baby? |
 |
| There he is! |
 |
| On the launch back to the club |
 |
| Look at the camera Grandma |
 |
| Holden reading up on proper airplane emergency procedures. |
 |
| Do. Not. Take. A. 2. Year. Old. On. A. Plane. |
 |
| The McCord Parade at the airport in Detroit. Holden was quite taken with the moving walkways. |
5 comments:
Uh-oh. I'm taking all three of my kids by myself to Oregon in a few weeks. After reading your post, I'm a leetle nervous for the airplane ride!!! I'm glad you guys had a good time out there! I love how bald little Port is- reminds me of Oscar's bald baby head.
It looks like you had an amazing trip!! Oh how I would love to be swimming in the cool, ocean water again!! One of these times we need to coordinate better so we can all meet up in good ole CT!
So wonderful! There's no place like home and your boys are adorable!
Looks like a great time!
What an adventure!
Post a Comment