Sunday, June 8, 2008

Our Getaway



Our brief getaway on Thursday and Friday could not have gone more smoothly. We left Thursday morning and drove 4 hrs. south to Zion's National Park. When we arrived I went to the Backcountry Office to get a permit to hike Subway the next day. We were very lucky to get a permit and only because someone had just cancelled. We then went to reserve a campsite and once again we were able to do so because of a recent cancellation (obviously these things need to be planned farther in advance!) That evening we hiked Angel's Landing (photos 1 & 2). On Friday morning we drove to the end of the Subway hike and hitchhiked to the trailhead (it was us plus 12 BYU students in a minivan) where we commenced our 9.5 mile hike. We hiked over slickrock, through forest, down a ravine, through a canyon, and along a river. We rappelled into 55 degree pools that were so narrow our hips got stuck. After swimming through several of these very cold pools in narrow canyons with no sunlight, I got very cold. Fortunately, it was only about 20 minutes before we were in the warm June sun again. What a hike! Who wants to join us next time? Make sure and get a babysitter....





9 comments:

Julie said...

Hey! I found your blog through the White's blog. Those pictures are so pretty! And your family is so cute! We miss the old ward! I wanted to see the Wilson, Reyes and Landon's blogs, but they are private. Maybe you could let them know I'm interested in being in their view list :) My blog is cantgeteneff.blogspot.com
Thanks! Talk to you later!

The Johstoneaux Family said...

Wow! I'm glad you guys had such a great time and that it all worked out so well! What an adventure! :) Those pictures look great - are they taken with your new camera?

Andrea said...

Wow! That is impressive. Something I could definitely not do, but I'm not a robust mountain woman like you. Looks like you had a great time.

The Nixons said...

Wow! How beautiful....I'm glad that you two had a nice get away...Looks like a lot of fun!

Unknown said...

Hey!
That trip sounded like great fun! I've never done hiking like that before, though I have done some cave crawling in very narrow caves. Dave and I just celebrated our own 5 year anniversary too! We also took a trip with his whole family to Europe! It was quite the experience! I should be posting about it today, so be sure to check it out!
-Leslie
licoricesticklady@blogspot.com

Ashley said...

That sounds so fun! Glad you were able to go on a get away!

Julia said...

I'm so glad you and Kjell got to get away for your anniversary--so fun! I too got a camera for my birthday--mine just got a little too wet when I dropped it in a lake. I'll have to try that hike up to the cave with Addie; she loves hiking.

Rebecca said...

So beautiful! It makes me really want to get out! And you look so good Olivia!

Howse said...

Cute blog, Olivia! Your family is adorable... and you & Kjell (sp?) are SUCH a cute couple! Congrats on making it through that hike! I am so impressed, you know I would have had to be taken away on a stretcher. I'm so glad were new neighbors/ buddies and as soon as our husbands recover from their work-a-holism we need to all hang out!